Wednesday 5 March 2014

Reasons to Smile

Okay this is a new thing I'm going to do, basically whenever I see an outstandingly lovely act of human kindness or awesomeness I'm going to write a short post on it just to spread the fact that even though there's a lot of horrid-ness in the world there's also a lot of niceness. :)

So recently I attempted to change the strings on my guitar and all went well but while tuning my G string snapped, (yes haha, it's hilarious so laugh it off now.)
I tried to get a new one but it turns out there aren't many music shops near where I live and the one I know of is so out of my way I just kept putting it off. However today I walked home from town a different way than the one I'm used to and I happened to pass the shop so I thought I may as well pop in and see if they had any separate G strings (haha) since I didn't want to have to buy a whole new pack.


I went in. Guitars lined the walls and loomed down on me menacingly, everyone in there obviously knew what they were talking about while I was still a guitar novice. 
Nonetheless, I carried on through the shop looking for strings unfazed (okay I really considered turning back and leaving but decided to be brave.) I found a section with what looked like strings but before I could have a proper read a guy who worked there asked if I needed any help;
'YES OH GOLLY GOODNESS I'M TOO UNEDUCATED FOR THIS MALARKY PLEASE PLEASE HELP THANK YOU'
I thought as I calmly asked if they sold acoustic guitar strings separately, he said yes they did and went over to the counter to see if he could find one. As he was searching we begun chatting and he complimented me on my Pokémon rucksack, a few seconds later I got my purse out to see how much I could afford to pay for a string.
'Is that a Studio Ghibli purse?!' He asked.
'Yes it is, good observation! I love how fellow geeks always notice!' I responded.
'Well us geeks are a dieing breed now.' He commented in return before realising they didn't have the specific string I needed. He asked if I would be interested in a full set but I said I didn't have much money on me at that moment but he took me round to the shelves of sets anyway and showed me a reasonably cheap set, I then noticed the exact set I had bought online and commented on it, mostly because it made me realise I had asked for the wrong width. It was £5.99 which wasn't bad, I thought perhaps I could swing it if I used my bus fare for the moment and then reimbursed it when I got home.
But before I could say this the guy had picked up the set I had pointed out and ripped open a small section of the cardboard package and scanned it through, he must have seen that I had £3 in my hand at the time because he said;
'That'll be £2.50 please'
I must admit I was a little stunned 'are you sure? I- I mean I don't-' I stuttered as I handed the cash over obediently.
'From one geek to another.'
I thanked him profusely and then walked home smiling at everyone I saw. 
:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment