Saturday 20 June 2015

Gap Years - The Pros

A small article compiling the reasons why taking a gap year was one of the best decisions I could have made.

(**Note - This is just my opinion, I am now going to university in September 2015 for a three year course and couldn't be more thrilled, I'm not suggesting everyone should take a gap year, I just want to put out the good points about them in a system where university can often be pushed onto young students who are unsure of their options.**)

Let's face it, education can be gruelling, nerve-wracking and sometimes just plain dull, by the time I got to my last days of college I had been in school for fourteen consecutive years, and for future generations the element of choice in that period is beginning to be totally eradicated. By no means am I arguing against education with this article, because unfortunately the old adult saying of 'these are the best years of your life' is actually completely true.


I absolutely loved college, and I was totally scared of what I would move on to after it and even how I would do that, but I got to the point where I wanted some freedom from the clutches of education. I couldn't quite understand why so many of my friends were so eagerly signing up to uni with seemingly no thought put into it, they were agreeing to a minimum of another 3 years of education and thousands of pounds of debt, it seemed like too big a commitment for me to even fathom at the time and so I opted for a gap year, and I did this for a few reasons:

1) I didn't know what I wanted to do. 
All I knew at that time was I wanted to be an actress. I didn't care if I would have next to no money for the rest of my life, hey, I'm pretty good at budgeting. I didn't want to go to uni for it, I felt like if I applied for universities then I was admitting that I wasn't good enough for drama school, and therefore that I wasn't cut out to be an actress. (Obviously I know this is not the case but I was a lot less skilled than a lot of people in my class, who even then weren't getting into drama schools, and this made me determined to prove myself.) 

2) I didn't understand the system. 
Drama school was the prize. The place all my friends wanted to go. But you had to book and pay for auditions weeks in advance. Everyone else seemed to understand the system of it, I had no idea what I needed to audition with or, half the time, how to even apply for the basic necessities like a loan or accommodation afterwards, (remember, a lot of drama schools aren't associated with ucas). I didn't want to blindly apply for schools just so I looked like I had a plan, truthfully, I didn't, and going into a system that you don't understand when you have thousands of pounds and years of your life to lose is so not worth it. 

3) The debt terrified me.
It still does. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like being careless with money, I budget constantly and always evaluate every purchase I make to ridiculous extent. I could not have gone into uni without some kind of savings to back me up, at this stage it's already agreeing to saddle yourself with at least £27,000 of tuition fees, I didn't want an overdraft or excessive spending to dig me into an even deeper hole. I wanted to save first, and spend second. 

Now that I'm in my gap year I've looked back and thought 'thank GOODNESS' so many times about my choice. Applications have to be completed so early if you want a chance of getting in to where or what you want, so for people like me who aren't entirely sure just then it's a hugely pressured topic that can often push you into a choice you later regret. After just weeks of freedom from the supposed urgency of finding a place I was absolutely certain of what I wanted to do, and not only entertaining the idea of university, but getting excited by it! I'd had enough time to finish college, find out my results and even realise that acting was more of a hobby for me and so drama school wasn't really the best option. 

I started my first proper job in September 2014 and because it was only part-time I found I had the time and the mindset to start checking out open days, prospectus' and the general ucas system. I was able to learn about what I needed to do and what I was agreeing to instead of being handed some forms with the instruction of 'sign up now'.

Along with this time and sudden responsibility that retail work brought, there was money going into my account. Again, the job was part-time, so it wasn't a huge amount, but I ended up with a nice barrier between me and an overdraft meaning some careful budgeting and summer work should keep me safe.

The free time that wasn't specifically dictated to 'work' or 'college' suddenly allowed me to explore my hobbies and passions, I had the chance to write and direct my own play for a festival, perform in two am dram pieces that gave me very different experiences of theatre, and try out a Lent Generosity Challenge that I had been dying to do for years!

Not that it's all been work, while I haven't even discussed all of the exciting travelling experiences that are so often suggested for gap years, it's obvious looking back that I had fun during my time off. I could just enjoy the days when I didn't have to work because there was no homework or reading lists or extra-study to do, everything outside of work I took on by choice.

Now that my uni start date is only a few months away, (Kingston here I come!!) I look back on this year and think of all the life experience it's given me. I've slowly eased my way into independence, while using my time wisely to improve my CV and hopefully give myself a fighting chance in the real world. I've roughly planned out the next three years of my life with a course that I am completely passionate about in a place that I have fallen in love with. I have gathered a reasonable amount of experience in my chosen career, as well as surviving a workplace that I was never confident enough to apply for before this year.

All in all, a gap year gave me the time that I never had before to do all of the things I had barely given the thought to, it's a fabulous opportunity to test the water of adult life before recluding back into the safety of education, and I highly recommend it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment