Monday 29 June 2015

Pride.

I remember a time in college when a close friend of mine had looked at me with an expression of worry and said;

'So I suppose you don't support same-sex relationships, since you're a Christian?' 

And all I could do was stare at them in complete shock. 

I eventually managed to fumble together an answer that wasn't as put together as I would have hoped, explaining how I felt my religion was one of love and that, while I didn't personally swing that way, I fully supported the 'crazy' concept of someone being able to love a person of the same gender without discrimination. 

With all the excitement going on recently to do with the legalization of same sex marriage in the US (woo America you made an awesome choice!!), there's been a few negative comments that were always bound to follow. 


However, it is my belief that in a world as dark and as twisted and as shocking as ours it's essential that we take time to celebrate the little victories, instead of just passing them off as an 'inevitability' or something that 'won't help in the long run'. Obviously, we won't forget about the long hard struggle ahead of us to try and make the world as much of a loving and accepting place as possible, but if we constantly mope and whine about what's not happening, and completely take for granted what is happening, then we will all become miserable pessimists, and that's not the end game. 

Last week history was made. And while to you it may have seemed like a small step considering the past progress already made, try to think about how people living in the states that said no, or that were still deciding must have felt. For them, it probably felt like they wouldn't see a change this HUGE in their lifetime, and living in a place with the 'no' vote was basically a big slap in the face to their life's dreams.

So please stop moping and complaining about 'shit filters' or 'pointless statements' because in a world like this we need to find reasons to be HAPPY and if a nationwide law approving the right to love isn't enough of a reason then I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment