Sunday 31 January 2016

New Cosplay - Rey!

So my next cosplay is probably a pretty predictable one... but when a badass character like Rey comes along sometimes a girl just can't say no!

What can I say? I was totally enthralled and impressed by seeing such a sassy and wonderful female at the centre of the newest addition to the Star Wars franchise. (And to the people who will be coughing the words 'Mary Sue' sarcastically please come and discuss this with me when my staff is complete! :))


So I will intend to finish this cosplay in time to wear for MCM May this year which shouldn't be too tricky once I start on the actual clothes... but for now here's a quick review of the parts I have so far started work on!






1) The Staff
So far Rey's staff has worked out far easier (and cheaper) than I ever thought it would be! So far I have the main base down, I started out with a lightweight plastic tube bought from 'Clas Ohlson' for £2 and drew the base of parts on as a template from a detailed sketch in my cosplay book. From there I used a 1kg pack of Das air drying clay (£4) to mould the basic shapes that created the top/bottom half of the staff.


I don't have much experience with clay if I'm honest, but so far the Das has proved easily manipulated, quick to dry and durable enough (although obviously I won't go hitting anyone at MCM just in case!) I managed to mould two metal chain pieces into each end of the staff to attach a strap to later for ease of carrying. 


Stay tuned for paint and the addition of the strap! :) 





2) Portions

A small prop addition to the cosplay, but a fun one to make all the same. I have yet to find the kind of plastic I can seal Rey's 'portions' in, but they gave me a good excuse to test out my clay before I dared to put it on the staff! Then a dark green acrylic applied the perfect finish.



3) Mini BB8...?

I'm still unsure if this mini prop will be finished and make it to MCM, but while I was looking for my staff base I found this little salt/pepper grinder on sale and my mind couldn't be torn away from how BB8-like it was!

So after a little paper-mache and clay to bulk it out I will have to see if I can smooth the edges and paint him up to carry around with me!









That's all I have for now, but I am so excited for this cosplay I'm sure there'll be more to blog about soon! If you have any questions/comments let me know. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment