Monday 18 January 2016

Quick, Cute and Easy Presents!

I realise now that this post is way too late to be relevant for Christmas anymore... But it's never too early to start stocking up ideas for next Christmas right?! (And let's not forget all the pesky birthdays in between!) 

This year I suddenly realised that I was a poor student who suddenly had twice as many people to find gifts for, so here's a quick list of some cheap but still super cute gifts I managed to rustle up! 


1) Candles.

This year I had originally intended to make candy-cane themed bath bombs, but when that plan fell apart (literally, still have no idea how to keep my ingredients together!) I decided to fall back on something I trusted totally - making candles. 

All you need for a cute batch of any kind of candle is a big bag of plain wax pellets, some coloured wax (if you want different coloured candles), essential oils ( if you want to make them nice and smelly), some way of melting the wax (I've used a cheap fondue set in the past, but a melting pot or pan will do), some wicks (I use string with a coat of wax) and finally some form of mould for the candles! 

If you have the patience to create one colour, pour in a thin layer, leave it to set and then repeat the process with different colours a few times you can get gorgeously striped candles, which I found perfect for the candy-cane effect!




2) Lip Scrubs.


A cute and cheap gift for any Lush lover in your life! I found dozens of quick guides to this project on pinterest that required only four basic ingredients!

To make the lip scrub itself you will need sugar (I used granulated just because I felt the grains were a better scrub than castor), your favourite kind of carrier oil, a nice smelly essential oil and some food colouring of your desired colour. 

Mix ingredients to your desired consistency, after all, the recipe's easy enough for you to experiment with - just make sure the mixture isn't too full of liquid! The perfect lip scrub should still be pretty dry! 

I made pink Grapefruit flavoured scrubs and popped them into some metal tins that you can find pretty easily in most shops or online in bulk, I covered the top of the tin with Christmas decoration paper cut to shape with a crafting knife.


3) Felt Plushies!

Okay maybe not so quick when doing it by hand, but I found making a couple of these felt Jakes from Adventure Time was just a pretty relaxing activity to do in the background while watching tv! Jake's an easy character to re-create because his cartoon features are so easy to copy and he's only three colours! 



No comments:

Post a Comment